Friday, June 29, 2012

Second Nature

A new piece of work will be shown at the Tivoli NY Artist Co-op for their next show titled 'Second Nature'.  My good friend and artist Gretchen Kelly who is a member of this co-op invited me to participate as a guest artist.  I am intrigued by the concept of 'Second Nature' and am happy to be included.  The show opens tomorrow evening from 6-8pm, please do come if your in the area!  Below is my statement for the work.


Dawn Breeze, 2012
Second Nature, originally Latin secundum naturam, "according to nature".
I am coming in to my accordance with nature; I am coming in to my authentic and original nature as a person and as an artist.  I am coming in to my innate self through my second nature, through my artistic process. What is this?  What does this becoming look like?
Oneness.  My artwork is a communion with nature; it is a collaboration that is not a depiction of nature but rather a shared experience with nature that culminates with a creation.  However, I consider the art to begin at the same point of ending in a constant state of transformation and flux.  My art is my experience of life and my art practice is my second nature.
To watch ‘Daydream’ in process go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqYBVpve00
 “We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn…It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful, but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of the arts.”-Henry David Thoreau Walden

No comments: