Friday, February 10, 2012

Photographs of the water painting





I think I have begun an affair with the pond down the street.  I visit it and each day there is a new freshly painted canvas reflecting up at me.  The elements determining what to change on its icy surface. When I look at it I am fully mesmerized,  engrossed by the enormous generosity of its beauty.  I am thankful that its a small pond,  I doubt that I will ever know all of it.

A couple people mentioned my photographs could be beautiful paintings.  I think they already are photographs of beautiful paintings.

I don't photoshop my pictures.  They are straight from the camera.  I don't think there is anything wrong with editing photographs-but I am interested in having something depict the truth as much as possible without the artists interference.  I want people to believe in their own capacity to see beauty in everything.  I think that's one of the largest problems in print and film, that we confuse reality with fantasy and we no longer accept reality with its imperfections as beautiful.  We aspire to an unnatural beauty.  I aspire to find gems in the ordinary...but really there is no such thing as ordinary in nature.    I suppose some of these photo's could benefit from some little tweaks of contrast or saturation but I'll wait until the print stage to see how the paper affects the images.


No comments: