Sunday, June 05, 2011

New Studio Visits


New Work (Oil Paintings)....Titles coming



We're All Dirt
Mixed Medium (Dirt, Collage, Oil)
16" x 20" (10 pc)
Attached
33" x 22"
Mixed Medium on Wood (Fabric, Oil, Acrylic)

Crazy Quilt
5'x5'
Mixed Medium on Wood (Oil, Graphite,Fabric, Encaustic)

This week I had my first studio visits (in my new studio!!!). The first was with a curator followed by an artist/friend. It was a great time for me to get some feedback with the new work-which some is complete, some just beginning and in general the beginning of a new body of work....

I think one of the most obvious changes in my work in the past two years is that I have incorporated more "ideas" and personal elements in to the work....slipping into what others may call conceptual art. Whats funny for me is that I don't really know what the difference is in my own practice? I consider myself a visual artist, moving between mediums and forms to express what wants to be expressed....painting, drawing, sculpting, video, performance....a freedom of expression. Perhaps critics and curators want categories of creation to narrow in on specifics....does it matter that my eyes are blue when determining who I am as an artist? I suppose in some way that help classify me.......Classified "classy".

Needless to say I am very excited about new showing opportunities that are ahead!!! And the other great news is that paintings arrived in Italy in time for the show!!

This painting is in its first incarnation (well actually 3rd-but I havn't published the other resting points)-needs a lot more loving time. I thought it would be fun to show it in process.

No comments: