Friday, June 24, 2011

New Growth


Anaphase 1.Anaphase 2a.
Anaphase 2

Anaphase 3
Anaphase Complete
Anaphase Seperated

Anaphase Detail

I will break these up with more posts over the next couple days-because there are so many paintings in this group. The idea is that they all(the individual paintings) fit together and create new formations, (larger paintings). Each painting is oil and most canvas's are 16" x 20". Each canvas was recylced and I left little windows or transparency's from the original paintings. When I completed these paintings I realized they looked like abstract life and represented new growth and development for me-as a painter, as a person. This motivated me to investigate cellular growth. Which shocked me, because there under the microscope were my paintings. I have never worked so "backwards" in the sense that I didn't know I was painting cellular growth until I found it after I was finished. It shocked me. It also encouraged me to trust in the guiding intuition and unconscious artistic process. One of the most interesting things about cell growth and terminology is that they call cells and chromotids , "Sisters, Mothers & Daughters" I feel there is a personal parallel with cellular growth and my personal and spiritual development.
"Mitosis is the process in which a eukaryotic cell separates the chromosomes in its cell nucleus, into two identical sets in two daughter nuclei.[1] It is generally followed immediately by cytokinesis, which divides the nuclei, cytoplasm, organelles and cell membrane into two daughter cells containing roughly equal shares of these cellular components. Mitosis and cytokinesis together define the mitotic (M) phase of the cell cycle - the division of the mother cell into two daughter cells, genetically identical to each other and to their parent cell."

On another note-I saw Tree of Life last night, I feel like I am a part of that movie, I am certainly on a similar quest of acceptance and understanding during this time. That is a movie you must see.
Lastly, I incorrectly said in my last post I saw Sol Lewitt Charcoal drawings at the Met. NOPE, it was Richard Serra!!! Oops!


Daughter Cells
Mother Cells


Mother Daughter Cells

No comments: