Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"Uncool"


Evening Purple Mountains
Acrylic
24" x 15"

Le Witt, wrote his sculptor friend Eva Hesse the following:

"STOP IT AND JUST DO"
" Try and tickle something inside of you, your "weird humor". You belong in the most secret part of you. Don't worry about cool, make your own uncool. You are not responsible for the world---you are only responsible for your work, so DO IT. And don't think that your work has to conform to any idea or flavor. It can be anything you want it to be."

Thank you Le Witt! (and thank you Nicole for sharing this with me!) I think that he speaks to all of us artists...and it has definitely been the message of the moment.

This painting is really funny to me, because the colors are almost horrific, but there is so much about this painting that's making me happy, and it has a lot to do with witnessing my personal nuances poke their noses out of this weird landscape.

No comments: